Hello to All!!!!!

Monday, May 5, 2008

Coordinating a Music Alumni Group

Being the coordinator of a Music Alumni Group can be fun and inspiring.
We lost our teacher, Mr. Curtis Harmon over a year ago, and now some of
his former students have organized an Alumni Association in his honor.

Mr. Harmon taught piano Jazz Techniques, but also taught voice and studies in other musical instruments. He taught at Temple University
for over 30 years and he, himself was a study in disciplines of Jazz. He was one of the best teachers in the jazz studies. In the Temple University Musical Prep class I was in, he would play and demonstrate the piano techniques that I could absorb and use in my music. Every student have their own reasons for studying piano. As a songwriter, I wanted to know more about music as well as to be able to play. Today, a musician need to be able to do both. If you are booked for a show, and your piano player is held up somewhere, the show will still go on.

I chose to be the coordinator of the alumni group and see much success already in our musical group being positive and supportive while pursuing their individual musical studies and performances in music.

May 4, we had our second meeting at the African-American Museum in their auditorium. We started off with musical performance of three of the alumni members on the museum's grand piano! They all performed
so well that I know if Mr. Harmon was here, he would be so proud.

We are grateful to the museum letting us use their facility to have this meeting.
We accomplished a lot during this meeting and I will blog more about
how I directed the meeting.

If you are in the area of the African-American Museum, they have an
exhibit about the Negro League Baseball Greats (I see it ended May 4) There are postcards and posters that you can purchase still.

They also have on exhibit Warm Spirits: Contemporary African American Quilters. This exhibit will be there until June 1, 2008
You will also see there now until June 1, 2008 the exhibit of Lois Mailou Jones:Prints and Works on Paper.

If you want to know more about the African American Museum, you can call: 215-574-0380 The have on-going workshops and scheduled
performance. There is discounted parking in the back of the museum
and membership subscriptions for you and your family.

Alumni associations and other organizations can organize to support the community in many ways. You, too, can support the already established organizations in your community, while building your organization.

by Thelma Harcum
My music:indiegate.com/thelmaharcum/jazz/R&B

No comments:

MP3 Clips

Blog Archive

Followers

New Products/New Trends

kontera content

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now: text

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Amazon Store

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner