What does a heart shape have in common with your child
putting a shoe on the correct foot?
Well, everything!
I have tried teaching my grandchild, who is 3 yrs. old, how to look at the shape of his feet in comparison to his shoes, and drew outlines of his foot, to help him determine which shoe to place on what foot. It worked for a day, but then again, the next day, I was back to were I started.
So, as not to make a fuss, about the placement of his shoes when they are on wrong, I'll just state, how happy I am he put his shoes on; but also state I think he have is shoes on the wrong feet. He looked down and said, "Oh!" Then, he'll sit down and place them on correctly.
Occasionally, he'll put them on the wrong foot again. Toilet training
seems to be easier; there are all kinds of things you can relate to there.
But this, this is so different. Even socks don't help you. Where are the books for children to teach them how to put their shoes on the correct foot?
Maybe shoe companies will write the words or letter
in the shoe for a child to know. Now, we're talking about reading at age 2 and 3 yrs old.
Probably not a challenge for them to read. They pick up technology
very fast. When I ask for the remote control, my other grandchild
who is 18 months old runs for it before the 3 year old can get to it.
One day, I came up with the idea of another method of teaching my grandson, the 3 yr old, how to put his shoes on the correct foot.
We started out talking about the shape of a heart. He knew what a heart shape look like. We both drew pictures of hearts. Big ones, little ones and many different colors.
Soon it was time for him to put his shoes on and I said, "Manny, I have an easy way for you to learn which shoe to place on what foot."
He said. "OK!" Suddenly, this became a game for him and a little extra attention didn't hurt!
I told him to put both his big toes together and he will see the top of a little heart shape at the top; and then to put his shoes together and he will see the top of a little heart shape, too.
Suddenly, he said. "I see now!" He was all smiles with dimples showing. I could tell he understood what I was trying to show him.
"Now, I see!" said my grandson. "This shoe go on this foot, and that shoe go on the other foot." The shoes were all on the correctly!
"You Go Manny!" I said. "Great job!"
Drawing Lessons From The Heart!
by, Thelma Harcum
Child Development (8th Edition)
No comments:
Post a Comment